If you’re looking to spread more kindness in the coming year, here are some ideas for easy resolutions to incorporate into your everyday life.
1. When you buy something from a vending machine, put in more money than you need.
2. Park further away so someone else can park closer.
3. Use thank-you notes for more than gifts: write a note of appreciation to teachers, coaches, doctors, librarians, etc.
4. Use AmazonSmile to donate to a charity of your choice.
5. Embrace bouquets: give them to the office staff at work or school, send flowers to someone on their birthday, or bring them to the nurses’ station of a hospital for whichever patient they think could use cheering up.
6. Leave copies of your favorite books in public places for other people to take and enjoy.
7. Dedicate a day, week, or month of compliments—see how many you can hand out.
8. When you bake cookies or other treats, double the recipe and take the extras to neighbors, the police or fire station, or your pediatrician’s office.
9. Donate food, toys, or clothing to a food bank, an animal shelter, or a children’s hospital.
10. Treat a friend to dinner.
11. When you take a walk around your neighborhood, take a notepad with you. Write complimentary notes about people’s homes and gardens.
12. Don’t be afraid to have fun while doing something kind: join a wine club or a culinary “of the month” club and share the bounty with friends or colleagues.
No act of kindness is too small. Making kindness a part of your daily routine helps keep it top of mind. Soon you’ll see all kinds of opportunities to do a good deed.